Mobile: 0416 608 977
Canadian citizen. Permanent Residency status in Australia.
Valid Canadian driver’s licence.
- Experienced in administration within medicine, law, education, advertising and the arts
- Independent former journalist and writer
- Exceptional communication and organisational skills
- Articulate speaker and active listener
- Skilled in Microsoft Office suite, with proven 81 net wpm typing
- Intelligent, reliable, conscientious, enthusiastic and presentable
- Experienced in highly confidential and privileged environments
- Mastery of legal and medical lexicons, and Latin terminology
- Highly diplomatic with robust initiative
- Warm, friendly and engaged, with outstanding people skills
Qualifications and Education
- Executive Office Administration Diploma (Dean’s List) with Honours, Georgian College, Ontario, Canada. Courses included Corporate and Commercial Law, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Advertising, Organisational Behaviour, Training & Development, Business Research, Accounting, Business Maths, Advanced Computer Documentation and Office Procedures & Strategies. Graduated with an overall GPA of 8%.
- Joint Honours, Bachelor of Arts (Drama & Spanish) Degree, University of Bristol, UK (Russell Group) http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/University-Bristol-ranked-best-world/story-26411352-detail/story.html
- Postgraduate Bilingual (Spanish) Secretarial Studies and Business Administration Diploma with Honours, University of the West of England, UK
- ‘S’ and ‘A’ Levels (Oxford & Cambridge) in English, French and Spanish, King’s College Taunton, Somerset, UK
- Royal Society of Arts Diploma with Honours, UK
- Communications, Advertising & Marketing (CAM) Foundation Certificate, London, UK
- International Advertising Association’s Advanced Certificate in Advertising, New York
- Ontario Ministry of Labour’s WorkSmart Health & Safety Certificate, 2011
- Member, Editors’ Association of Canada
Executive Assistant to the Director of Procurement
HealthShare NSW (September 2016 – present)
HealthShare NSW is the service delivery arm of NSW Health, the largest employer in Australia. It provides services such as finance, payroll workforce, procurement, food, linen, non-emergency patient transport and equipment for people with disability to NSW public health agencies.
I have been appointed as Executive Assistant to the Director of Procurement, one of seven members of the Executive Team. The main functions of HealthShare NSW Procurement include:
- The management of NSW State Government contracts used in the health system
- Catalogue management
- Electromedical engineering
- Fleet management
- Supply chain information systems
- Procurement of clinical equipment on behalf of Local Health Districts and the NSW Ministry of Health
- Supply management of standardised State-wide NSW Health uniforms
- Other special procurement and project management activities as required.
Practice Manager and Executive Assistant to the Executive Team, MLC School, Rowley Street, Burwood, NSW 2134 (July 2015 – present)
MLC School is a leading girls’ World IB School with some of the highest academic results in the country. Founded in 1886, it is a not-for-profit organisation under the aegis of the Uniting Church of Australia. The school’s long term commitment has always been to empower girls and young women to be fearless thinkers, to make a difference in the world, and to live with purpose. My key working relationships are with the Head of Finance, Systems and Administration; the Finance and Administration Staff; Senior Teaching Staff; the School Council, the Principal’s Office and the School Executive. My role requires me to support, and to be an active ambassador and advocate for, the achievement of the school’s strategic objectives.
- Provide administrative support to the Head of Finance, Systems & Administration. Diary appointments, agendas, meeting papers, minutes, presentation material, correspondence.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality within a privileged and high work-volume environment.
- Provide executive support to the Heads of Departments, the Head of Learning Design & Innovation and the Head of Marketing & Community Relations.
- Provide management and oversight of general office and administration functions across the entire school, including Main Reception and Print Room.
- Collaborate closely with all School Council Members, the Chair of Council and the Principal in all matters relating to governance and compliance.
- Provide support to the Master Planning Committee and the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee and ensure confidential documentation is accessible via a password-protected portal on the Community website in advance of all regularly-scheduled meetings.
- Take and distribute minutes for the School’s Heads of Learning and Workplace, Health & Safety Committees.
- Administer the school’s Risk & Compliance system (CompliSpace) and maintain all school and legislative policies and procedures.
- Liaise with staff at the AISNSW (Association of Independent Schools of New South Wales) in terms of complying with BOSTES’ (Board of Studies’ Teaching & Educational Standards) requirements for all Council/Board members.
- Administer all Workers’ Compensation claims and insurance claims.
- Manage the Professional Development budget.
- Arrange all overseas and domestic travel and accommodation for staff, including school trips and international seminars and conferences.
- Track all incident reporting.
- Manage school motor vehicle fleet, including cars, trucks, buses, rowing vessels and trailers.
- Help manage the front office, including the welcoming of guests, visitors, parents, VIPs, new staff, contractors and prospective new families.
- Multitask across a number of key areas, making recommendations in terms of process and protocol, and employing active decision-making in terms of the allocation of tasks.
Transport Projects Division, Transport for New South Wales, Tower A, Zenith Centre, 821 Pacific Highway, Chatswood, NSW 2067 – Fixed-term Contract Position: Executive Assistant, Legal Services (December 2014 – July 2015)
- Support two senior in-house Counsel within the Legal Services department of the Transport Projects Division of TfNSW, the State agency whose functions include the planning, oversight and delivery of transport infrastructure in NSW
- Involved in projects ranging from tens of thousands to several billion dollars (e.g. Central and South East Light Rail)
- Liaison with Partners and senior staff at major construction and contract law firms
- Liaison with Project Management Office, Project Directors, Communications staff, Assurance Managers, Community Engagement staff, Procurement and Program Controls Managers and Commercial Department staff, as well as specialist contractors and external consultants
- Executive support, calendar and email management, correspondence, briefings, meetings, conferences, travel arrangements
- Agendas, proposals, presentations, document management, round tables, seminars
- Highly confidential environment handling privileged documents for legal review, contracts, Ministerial and Deputy Director General (DDG) briefings, significant issue papers and deeds within leading public sector organisation
- Charged with personally editing and proof-reading critical enterprise-wide Professional Services Contract templates
- Close working relationships with other support staff in key executive assistant roles throughout the overall transport cluster
White Rabbit Gallery, 30 Balfour Street, Chippendale, NSW 2008
Fixed-term Contract Position: PA to the Founder/Director & Head of Education (September – October 2014)
- Diary coordination, official and personal correspondence for one of Australia’s leading philanthropists and benefactors of the arts
- Liaison with translator, curators, gallery manager, attendants and collection manager of one of the world’s premier Chinese contemporary art collections
- Reconciliation and banking of supplier invoices and revenue from gift shop and tea house and personal banking for the Founder
- Coordination of meetings with staff, designers, architects, the media and international visitors
- Minutes of external and internal meetings and extensive personal travel planning
Crisp Legal, 111 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
Fixed-term Contract Position: EA to Senior Partner and Senior Counsel (April – September 2014)
- Provide one-on-one executive level support to the Senior Counsel of a boutique construction law firm with a national client base
- Proficiency in LexisNexis Affinity billing and document/matter management systems
- Correspondence, pleadings, file and appearance management
- Client liaison with C-suite officers, project managers and senior management
- Travel arrangements, accommodation, meeting scheduling, minute taking
- Acting practice manager, assisting in the coordination of scheduling of five law clerks, a legal secretary and a receptionist
- Highly experienced in legal lexicon, processes and procedures
- Familiar with court processes, litigation requirements, custom and practice
- Outlook diary, calendar and appointment scheduling, participation in regular management meetings, occasional Dictaphone (ExpressScribe) typing
- Liaison with Junior and Senior counsel, expert witnesses, litigants, opposing solicitors, court staff, other Partners, colleagues and third-parties
Greenpeace Australia Pacific, 33 Mountain St., Ultimo, NSW 2007
Fixed-term Contract Position: Office of the CEO (November 2013 – April 2014)
- Provide administrative support on a contract basis to the EA to the CEO
- Complex diary management
- General executive support
- Travel coordination
- Organising meetings
- Minute taking
- Correspondence to key external stakeholders, including federal and state politicians, the national media, leading scientists and prominent academics
- Preparation of reports, documents and the transcription of speeches and public lectures
- Reconciliation of accounts
- Preparation of highly confidential and strategic material for the Board and Senior Management Team
Write First Time, Toronto (Owner)
(1991 – Present)
- Provided freelance writing and PR/administrative services to large/international and small/regional businesses and to national, regional and local newspapers, consumer publications and trade magazines. Clients have included Johnson & Johnson, Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals, Canadian Airlines, Procter & Gamble, ScotiaMcLeod, Mennen Canada, Nabisco, MDS Laboratories, Ramada Hotels of Canada, Royal Trustco, G2M/ITPR (Toronto), Royal Bank of Canada, the CIBC Development Corporation, Alcatel-Lucent, SAP Software & Solutions, Cellex-C, BMW (Canada), Maclean Hunter (now Rogers Media, Canada’s largest media conglomerate), Southam Newspapers, Québecor Media Group, Metroland Media, Sun Media and Postmedia.
- Undertook additional project-based work, including copywriting, website copy, marketing collateral, promotional pieces, corporate advertising, editing and proofreading Doctoral theses
- Interviewed and wrote about the work of prominent Canadians in the fields of politics, the environment, social justice, human rights, the voluntary sector and entertainment
- Research projects, including the recruitment and screening of participants for focus groups for North American packaged goods corporations like Kraft, Clorox and Weston Foods, commissioned by Ideaspace.ca
- Assisted focus group moderators in note-taking, the preparation of data analysis and final reports of both quantitative and qualitative data
- Moderated several online forums in key test markets in French and English Canada
- Undertook concept and product testing for The Family Channel, Canada’s most popular children’s television channel in terms of viewership
- Evaluated quantitative and qualitative consumer responses to pilot products in development and in test markets
Mr. Peter F. Thompson, LL.B.
- Ad hoc legal research for Peter F. Thompson, former personal injury and intellectual property lawyer
- Primarily motor vehicle and workplace accidents
- Developed strong relationships with several of his clients who had in some cases suffered horrific injuries
- Routine administration on a number of files, including the development of affidavits, court document submissions, exhibits for discovery and the preparation of questions for cross-examination
- Organised and helped to promote a number of concerts in which Mr Thompson took part as a former and part-time professional musician
- Primary assistant on a case for the Plaintiff versus a well-known Canadian theatrical impresario whose productions have been seen by over 4 million people worldwide, which involved the alleged infringement of the Plaintiff’s copyright, moral rights, obligation of confidence and misrepresentation
Mr. Dana Randall, LL.B.
- Ad hoc administrative assistance to Mr Dana Randall, Ontario Provincial Arbitrator, when his workload was at its fullest
- Average of four hearings per week
- Practice involves mediation and arbitration of disputes arising under collective agreements between large employers and trade unions throughout the Province of Ontario in both public and private sectors
- Editing and assisting in the preparation of awards, mainly in health care, education and municipal sectors
- Transcription of hearing notes, assembly of exhibits, proofreading of final decisions, liaison with the parties in terms of scheduling meetings and hearings
- Occasional research, especially when issues in dispute touched upon matters outside collective agreement interpretation, such as human rights, employment standards, health and safety, workers’ compensation and insurance legislation
Independent Legal Experience
- Significant experience as a highly successful litigant in the Family Division of the Ontario Superior Court
- Successfully represented myself and won two cases in the Small Claims Division of the Ontario Superior Court in the past decade, which included both near-maximum (more than was claimed) monetary awards and the receipt of substantial punitive damages
Account Executive, DDB Needham Inc., Bloor Street, Toronto
- Gatorade and Levi’s – all broadcast, outdoor and print media
- Reported to the Account Manager and helped develop both marketing and advertising strategies and campaigns
- Responsible for day-to-day management of two national key accounts with multi-million-dollar media budgets
Account Executive, Grey Canada Inc., Bay Street, Toronto
- Playtex (intimate apparel, feminine hygiene and baby nursers) and Beecham (now part of Glaxo Smith Kline)
- All aspects of national TV, print, trade and outdoor media advertising
- Budget management, scheduling, presentation of creative work, talent and client liaison
Account Executive, Crawford Halls, a division of Saatchi & Saatchi, London W12
- Aristoc (Courtauld’s Hosiery), German Food & Drink Marketing Board
- Coordinated all print and broadcast media, special events, promotions, collateral materials, co-op advertising, in-store flyers, photo shoots, PR releases, liaison with retailers
PA to Account Director, Foote Cone & Belding Inc., Baker Street, London W1
- Large FMCG/packaged goods accounts with multimillion dollar media budgets
- All aspects of administration to support VP/Account Director on Bermuda Department of Tourism, Cadbury’s and British Airways group accounts
Personal Bilingual Assistant to Consultant Gynaecologist, Mr Desmond Bluett, MRCOG, FRCOG, Devonshire Place, Harley Street, London W1
- PA to consultant gynaecologist in private practice with an international client base.
- First point of contact for all patients
- Liaised with clinic and hospital personnel, anaesthetists, medical researchers, academics, operating room and nursing staff
- Translated and interpreted for many patients from Spain and Latin America
TESL/TEFL Teacher at El Centro Ingles in Nuñez de Balboa, Madrid, Spain
- Teaching Spanish to British and Danish businesspeople
- Teaching English to Spanish businesspeople
Additional Administrative/Secretarial Contract Roles
- Office of the Chairman of British Rail, London UK
- Office of the CFO, ExxonMobil UK, London UK
- Office of the CEO, Help the Aged, London UK
- UNICEF, London W1, UK
- Shandwick PR, London W1, UK
Additional Skills/Volunteer Work
Team Leader, Cana Shelter for Homeless Men, Haymarket, NSW 2000 (2013 – Present)
- Lead team in the provision of bedding, supper and fellowship to ten homeless men once a month in conjunction with the Sydney Homeless Persons’ Information Centre (HPIC) and the NSW Dept. of Family & Community Services Link2Home service
Executive Board Member, David Busby Street Centre, Barrie, Ontario (2006 – 2009)
- Board-level duties at one of Canada’s largest not-for-profit organisations that works non-judgementally to advocate for and improve the lives of individuals and families who are marginalised, homeless or at risk of homelessness. The Centre has 38,000 visits per annum.
Communications Chair, Barrie Regional Electoral District Association, Green Party of Canada (2006 – 2008)
- Responsible for all written and verbal communications and publicity undertaken by the Riding Executive on behalf of one of the most successful (in terms of votes cast) and high-profile GPC candidates in the country
Deputy Returning Officer, Elections Canada and Elections Ontario (Federal and Provincial elections, May and October 2011)
- Assisted the Returning Officer in running an inner-city Polling Station within a Census Metropolitan Area of almost 200,000 people
Award-winning Sales Associate, Danier Leather Inc. (assisting Manager during Christmas period, 2011)
- Top-performing seasonal salesperson at a flagship store of leading Canadian leather retailer with 100 outlets nationwide
Former Parent Council Member
- Upper Canada College, Toronto, a leading independent boys’ school and top performer in International Baccalaureate global rankings (son was awarded a four-year National Scholarship)
- Joseph’s High School, Barrie, Ontario
- Prince of Wales Public School, Barrie, Ontario
Volunteer Parent Supervisor
- Gentlemen & Boys’ Choir, Cathedral Church of St. James, Toronto
- Canadian Children’s Opera Chorus
- Fellow, Royal Society of Arts
- Leadership roles, Christ Church St. Laurence, Railway Square, Sydney
- YMCA, including Dragon Boat race participant
- Green Party of Canada and Green Party of Ontario, Barrie Regional Riding volunteer
- Host of annual Write-a-Thon for Amnesty International in support of prisoners of conscience
- Art Gallery of NSW
- Friend of the Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney
Jazz, choral music, poetry, creative writing, theatre, reading, non-fiction, running, bushwalking, languages, history, etymology, architecture, anthropology, community involvement, international affairs, ecology, nature, social justice
Outstanding academic, character and employment references available upon request.
Personal referees include:
Dr Elizabeth Farrelly, Associate Professor, Urban Policy & Strategy, UNSW
Dr Neil McEwan, AO, Associate Professor, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, University of Sydney
Dr Anthony Miller, formerly Associate Professor of English and Chair of the Department of English, University of Sydney